Compare Products Print This Page


5 Tips for Loading Your Trailer

If you're like most people, you probably use your trailer to haul all sorts of things – from ATVs and snowmobiles, to lumber and construction materials. What is important to remember is that you don't load it the right way, you could end up damaging your equipment or even compromising your safety. Here are five tips to help you load your trailer the right way.

1. Make sure your trailer is level before loading

Before you load your trailer, it is important to make sure that it is level. An unlevel trailer can cause the load to shift during transport, which can lead to damage or even an accident. To level a trailer, first measure the height of the tongue from the ground. Adjust the hitch until the tongue is level with the ground. Next, measure the distance between the fenders and the ground. If one side is higher than the other, you will need to raise or lower that side of the trailer until it is level. Using a weight-distributing hitch to evenly distribute the weight of the load will also help. Once your trailer is level, you can safely load your belongings.

2. Distribute weight evenly

Remember to keep weight distribution in mind. Heavier items should always be placed on the bottom, and you should strive to distribute weight evenly throughout the trailer. Follow the 60/40 rule. 60% of the weight should be put at the front of the trailer. This leaves 40% of the weight in the back. This will help to prevent the trailer from becoming unbalanced and tipping over. Additionally, it will make for a smoother ride and help to protect your belongings.

3. Pack tightly so there's no extra space between items

When loading your trailer, be sure to pack it tightly so that there's minimal movement inside the trailer. This will help to prevent items from shifting during transport and will also make it easier to keep your trailer stable on the road.

4. Use straps and ropes to secure your load

It is important to use straps and ropes to secure your load. This will also help to prevent your belongings from shifting and potentially damaging your vehicle or causing an accident. There are a variety of different straps and ropes available, so be sure to choose the ones that best fit your needs. For example, ratchet straps are particularly useful for securing heavy or bulky items.

5. Don't overload your trailer

It may seem like a good idea to load up your trailer with as much stuff as possible, but it's actually very dangerous. Overloading your trailer can lead to several problems, including reduced braking ability, decreased steering control, and even tire failure. These problems can make it very difficult to drive safely and can even lead to accidents. So, before you head out on the road, be sure to check the weight limit on your trailer and make sure you're not overloading it. Your safety - and the safety of other drivers - depends on it.

It can be difficult to know how to load a trailer properly, but if you follow these simple steps, it should help make your life easier and keep things from going wrong. We hope that this blog post has been informative and helpful! If you need any equipment or services related to trailers, let us know. Call or visit the Flaman Trailer location nearest you today!